Upplýsingar fyrir erlenda foreldra
International Parents Group.
The purpose of friendship families is to:
- Promote the integration of non-native families and their children in Laugarnesskóli and the broader community reducing the likelihood of isolation.
- Develop a school atmosphere based on mutual respect, empathy and cooperation between the many cultures and ethnicities within the school community.
- Develop an mutually beneficial relationship between the Icelandic and non-native families based on support, respect and understanding.
Friendship families- Implementation
- Non-native and Icelandic families within the same class/grade should seek to strengthen existing bonds or forge new bonds between children with the support of class teachers and class representatives.
The Icelandic family should seek to:
- Keep the non-native family informed about extra-curricular activities, maybe offering to pick them up and accompany them to certain events.
- Explain to the non-native family which leisure and sports are available and help them apply when necessary. Help non-native families apply for discounts using the Fristudakort and teach them how to use www.reykjavík.is if necessary.
- Invite the child/children home occasionally.
- Offer assistance with reading in Icelandic.
- Invite the non-native family for coffee and a chat.
- Offer to help translating emails and information from the school and if necessary help replying.
- Above all initiate positive communication and promote the feeling of belonging in the non-native family.
The non-native family should seek to:
- Share cultural differences, and reciprocate invitations inviting the Icelandic family for tea and a chat.
- Take responsibility and seek help when they are not able to understand or need additional advice or support.
Á heimasíðu Menntasviðs Reykjavíkur má finna ýmislegt gagnleg fjölmenningarlegt efni um skólastarf í Reykjavík.
Messages from school: